Discover how to get rid of a headache.
Like many people, you may suffer from headaches and migraines on occasion. The causes can be various, fatigue, stress, negative emotions, or linked to external factors (noise, smells, etc.). What if it happens to you to feel better faster and that headache doesn’t ruin your day? Our medical team gives you the advice to help relieve your headache.
generally speaking, if you want to relieve a moderate headache, you can take medicine to reduce the pain. Doctors recommend instead the use of paracetamol, an analgesic sold without a prescription (in the absence of contraindications).
• if you have recurrent headaches and want to relieve them, you must be careful not to abuse painkillers. On the contrary, they can cause persistent or permanent headaches, and in this case, consultation is required.
• To relieve a severe headache, it is possible to take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or ketoprofen, but they are not recommended in all cases. There are some contraindications and it is best to seek the advice of a doctor before taking this type of medication.
• Whatever medication you are taking, you should be careful to stick to the dosage and not exceed the maximum recommended doses per day. If self-medication is not sufficient, medical consultation should be considered.
Important: in case of suspicion of Covid-19 and headaches, or if you are a confirmed case, you should not take any NSAID medication to relieve yourself. They could cause a significant deterioration in your state of health.
Medication is not the only possible treatment for a headache. You can also relieve your headache without medication. On the other hand, it is also necessary to take into account the nature of the headache (tension headache, migraine, etc.) to know which treatment to take. Here are our tips for relieving a headache naturally:
1. relax or lie down in a quiet place ;
2. do relaxation exercises;
3. drink water because dehydration accentuates the headache;
4. massage your temples in case of migraine;
5. drink coffee in case of migraine (vasoconstrictor effect);
6. place a compress soaked in cold water on the head;
7. inhalations with essential oils also help relieve headaches (on favorable medical advice).
If you have persistent or permanent headaches on only one side of the head or diffuse, it may be related to an environmental or internal cause.
We recommend that you talk to a doctor to try to find out the reason for these headaches to avoid trigger factors in the future.
Lack of sleep, stress, noisy environments, alcohol consumption, and even certain foods can be the cause of your headaches. In any case, a doctor can prescribe you an appropriate treatment to avoid the abuse of analgesics which can aggravate your headaches.
The natural treatment for headaches when you are pregnant is no different. On the other hand, if you need to relieve headaches during pregnancy, you must avoid self-medication, in particular NSAIDs (ibuprofen, ketoprofen).
Nevertheless, paracetamol remains safe in the absence of contraindications, if you respect the dosage and the recommendations of your doctor. If these solutions do not work to relieve your headache during pregnancy, you should consult a doctor to recommend a suitable treatment.
If you have an occasional headache, caused by your emotions, a prolonged state of fatigue or tension, or external factors, you can follow our previous advice.
For example, if you need relief from a headache after crying too much, some rest and a large glass of water should help you feel better. However, for some headaches, the management is different.
• If you have a migraine, you can also take painkillers, but don’t overdo it.
• In the event of migraine with aura (precursor symptoms such as visual disturbances or dizziness ), you must immediately calm down, if possible in a dark and quiet room, before the pain worsens.
• There are specific treatments to relieve this type of headache, such as ophthalmic migraine, from the triptan family. They do not cause persistent headaches, unlike painkillers. Speak to a doctor to find out if these treatments are advisable for you and to obtain a prescription, if necessary.
If you have a headache from sinusitis, the best way to get rid of it is to treat your sinusitis quickly. You have to :
1. blow your nose regularly;
2. do regular nose washes ;
3. rest ;
4. take your antibiotic treatment if the sinusitis is bacterial;
5. take analgesics to relieve pain (unless contraindicated);
6. avoiding tobacco smoke;
7. drink herbal teas and tea to thin and evacuate mucus;
8. perform fumigations with essential oils (in the absence of contraindications).
Tension headaches are treated as classic headaches. You can therefore follow our recommendations to relieve a headache quickly. If you have no contraindications, you can take paracetamol or ibuprofen. In addition, taking a warm bath can also help relieve your headache.
Headaches with neck or cervical pain are considered tension headaches or cervicogenic headaches. They are often triggered by poor sitting posture or staring at your phone or computer. It can therefore be common to have this kind of headache in the evening.
The Good to know: osteopathy has shown positive effects in relieving this type of headache because it helps to relax muscles and tensions in the neck and shoulders.
In the vast majority of cases, headaches are quite mild and do not hide other problems. On the other hand, if you have pain in the morning on the top of the skull, it may be high blood pressure.
This problem requires medical follow-up. To relieve headaches related to hypertension, you must therefore consult your doctor. Similarly, if your headaches are accompanied by vomiting, it is recommended to consult quickly.